POST-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR MASSAGE
If it has been 6 weeks after your surgery and your physician has indicated that you should massage your incision, please see the following instructions
- Start at one end of your incision line
- Place your index finger firmly on the incision line and rub in small circles (the size of a pencil eraser). Press hard, you cannot hurt your incision. Stay on this spot for 30 seconds.
- Move your finger just next to this area and repeat
- It should take several minutes to firmly massage the entire surgical area. If the surgical area, just beyond your incision is hard or thick, massage in the same way.
- Do this twice a day for one month.
- DO NOT put anything on your scar like vitamin E, as it may cause an allergic reaction. If you would like some lubrication for the massage use a small amount of vaseline on the end of your finger.